Satlantic has introduced the Deep SUNA to the line of leading edge UV nitrate sensors. Based on the proven MBARI-ISUS nitrate sensor, the Deep SUNA has been redesigned for easy integration with AUVs of all types. Deep SUNA provides real time, chemical-free nitrate calculations in deep ocean environments using Satlantic’s advanced UV absorption technology. The sensor is complemented by SUNACom, a newly developed Windows (or Mac) based software for easy set-up, integration and in-field calibrations.
Deep SUNA features include:
- Real time nitrate calculation
- Full UV spectrum for maximum accuracy
- Real-time temperature/salinity compensation
- Easy to use SUNACom software package
- Simple software based in-field calibrations
- Corrosion proof anodized aluminum housing with 2000 m depth rating
For AUV integration details, please ask about our third party integration experience. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Limit of Detection
0.5 µM (SW with T/S corr. Processing)
2.0 µM (SW processing)
|Range of Detection|
|Accuracy (greater of)||± 2 µM (±0.028 mg/l-N) or ± 10% of reading|
|Precision (short term)|
0.3 µM (SW with T/S corr. processing)
2.4 µM (SW processing)
|Drift (per hour lamp time)|
0.3 µM (SW with T/S corrs. processing)
1.0 µM (SW processing)
|Path length||10 mm|
|Wavelength Range||190-370 nm|
|Lamp Type||Continuous Wave, Deuterium Lamp|
|Lamp Lifetime||900 h|
|Input Voltage||8-18 VDC|
|Power Consumption||7.5 W (0.625 A at 12 V) nominal|
|Depth Rating||2000 m|
Real-time temperature-salinity correction available (0-35oC, 0-40 PSU); Requires T/S data from controller.
The Satlantic SUNA Nitrate sensor is complemented by SUNACom, a graphical software application available for Windows and Mac that makes SUNA set up, SUNA operation and in-field calibration updates easy and robust.
SUNACom software makes it easy to:
- Configure any SUNA setting and control SUNA operating mode.
- Update SUNA calibration with step-by-step calibration wizard, including PDF calibration reports, calibration file comparison utility, and calibration file upload.
- Graphically plot processed and/or raw SUNA data in real time or via file playback. View nitrate and ancillary time series and navigate sequenced absorbance plots and UV spectra.
- Re-process previously logged SUNA data files. Experiment with different processing parameters and calibration files to re-calculate nitrate values.
- Define custom meta-data fields to better organize logged SUNA data.
- Convert raw or processed SUNA data to calibrated comma separated values suitable for import to spreadsheets and database.
Please see the release notes for a complete list of features and improvements and refer to the SUNA User Manual for more information.
Download SUNACom 3.0.11
SUNACom 3 software is compatible with SUNA V2 and Deep SUNA. For a complete list of SUNACom 3 fixes and features in this release, please refer to the release notes.
What is the result of using the "Reprocess Nitrate Data" function under the SUNACom Tools Menu ?
The "Reprocess Nitrate Data" tool in SUNACom allows the user to select a calibration file and a raw file.
The resulting ASCII file contains a column for the original Nitrate concentration as calculated by the SUNA, using the calibration file onboard the sensor, and a column of recalculated Nitrate using the chosen calibration file.
- Riser, S.C., Johnson, K.,Lewis, M.R., Altshuler, T. (2011) Autonomous Measurements of Oceanic Dissolved Nitrate from Commercially Available Profiling Floats Equipped with ISUS APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE doi:ADA555146
The Hydro-Wiper is an external anti-fouling system designed specifically for use with the SUNA. The Hydro-Wiper keeps the SUNA sample windows clean for several months even in the most aggressive fouling environments, helping prevent costly site visits for manual cleaning and loss of data.
SUNA Anti-fouling guard
The SUNA anti-fouling guard is a semi-circular piece of perforated copper attached to a plastic armature that fits into the sample chamber. The anti-fouling guard provides passive fouling prevention through the release of copper ions that inhibit biological growth in the area. The anti-fouling guard provides a reliable and affordable approach to increase deployment time, decrease operating costs, and collect high quality data for mooring applications.
SUNA Flow cell
The SUNA flow cell is designed to adapt the SUNA for flow through operations on moorings with pumped flow, ship-board underway systems or for laboratory testing and calibration. The flow cell attaches to the SUNA sample chamber and tightly seals against the optical chamber windows. Nylon barbed fittings are provided to connected the flow cell to available pumped flow.
SBE 5M Pump
The SBE 5M pump module consists of a centrifugal pump head and a long-life, DC, ball-bearing motor contained in a compact, plastic housing for depths to 600 meters. The pump impeller and electric drive motor are coupled magnetically through the housing, providing high reliability by eliminating moving seals. Motor speed and pumping rate remain constant over the entire input voltage range. The motor drive electronics is intrinsically protected against accidental reversed polarity.
Alkaline Battery Pack
Satlantic's reliable and user-friendly Alkaline Battery Packs are available in 102 Ah and 51 Ah capacities. The design of the internal battery compartment allows the user to easily change the D-Cell batteries with off-the-shelf replacements. The battery packs consist of an anodized aluminum pressure case, a D-cell battery compartment and a removable end-cap.